Sunday, July 27, 2008

I'm with a teenage boy (I'm that age as well) and we're goofing around inside a set of underground corridors - concrete walls, concrete floors - part of the infrastructure of a mass transit system. He's on a bike and I'm on foot.

He tells me to "watch this" and rides at the tollgate faster and faster. I'm laughing but telling him he's going way too fast and he'd better slow down or he'll hit the gate! The gate is a bent metal tube - similar to the tubes you see in handicapped bathroom stalls - but is hinged at the far end (so the end forms kind of a flap). He hits the flat with his shoulder and he flies right through, still on the bike. I throw my fare at the collector and take off after him.

Just after the tollgate, the hallway Ts - he goes left and I run right to confuse the security guard. The corridors form a square and we meet up on the far side, dashing into the women's bathroom seconds before the security guard rounds the corner. We're laughing our asses off at having fooled the guy.

We come out slowly as if there was no reason to hurry - I think he leaves his bike in the bathroom - and we head into an arena that's off the corridor. There is a basketball game going on. They're showing pictures of TB, as a former bball star, and his kid, CB, currently playing in the game. My friend and are totally jazzed on adrenaline and laughter.

No comments: