Friday, August 8, 2008

3 tonight - but only one that was more than a snippet.

1 -

John and I are out with friends - 2 other couples and a single woman. The three women are all dressed in pale yellow sleeveless linen sheaths. I don't recognize any of them. We're walking around a city looking for somewhere to eat. We are on a street on the edge of the business district and there are a lot of empty storefronts. I wander ahead. I'm thinking about renting one of the storefronts to sell my jewelry from. I try to the doors to one that looks likely and they open. It used to be a bagel store and their black and red logo is still on the door. There's a guy in there. I tell him I was thinking about renting it but he's already leased it and is doing the build out for a new sub shop he's planning to open. He's friendly and we talk about safety in the area until John catches up with me. There's a second storefront that looks nice but it's much larger than I need.

The group has dinner in a cafe and then we walk through the business district back to the parking garage. This part of the city is much better lit and cleaner; the sun is just starting to go down. We pass a brick plaza/park. It's sunken slightly and is flanked on three sides by several very wide sets of shallow stairs (maybe 20-25' wide and 30-35 steps long with a small landing about halfway down) descending from street level to the plaza that double as ampitheater seats. The fourth side is bordered by the entrance to large glass high rise office building. There are trees and shrubbery at the top of the steps opposite the office building - they screen the brightly lit parking garage behind them.

From the sidewalk above the plaza, I can see there's an Irish step dance demonstration going on. (Oddly, the people doing the demo are wearing German costumes not the traditional Irish gear.) I suggest we go down and watch it. One girl's date is a really obnoxious guy and he puts up a stink so he and his date go on home. One of the other girls apologizes for him - apparently he knows he's a jerk and is trying to get better through biofeedback.

As we're watching the demo, Katie starts bouncing around to the music (she was not with us until this point so I'm not sure how she got there), all blond curls and enthusiasm. A roly poly older woman behind and to the right of me suggests that maybe she'd like to try dancing, that the teacher would give a demo lesson. I think she must be involved with the dance school or something. The teacher comes over. Katie charms her as well and she starts a demo lesson right there, showing Katie how to stretch, etc.

2 -

I hear a phone ring but can't get to it because I'm changing the baby or something like that. I hear my friend MH leaving a message. The only word I catch clearly is "oat."

3 -

John is upset with me about some insulation fluff that fell from the vent in the attic and is making a mess in the hall. I promise him I'll clean it up as long as he gets the vacuum out.

N.B. The last one was so real that I had to ask John when he called this morning if we'd had a discussion about insulation fluff and vacuums.

No comments: